Granite Worktop Maintenance
Granite Care and Maintenance
Follow these simple guidelines to get a lifetime of use out of your granite worktop
- Clean up spillages on granite immediately, especially those involving oil, strongly coloured foods and drinks and acidic spillages such as vinegar.
- If a stain is slighty more resistant, use of mild or neutral detergents will usually be sufficient to remove it. To avoid any staining be sure to follow these basic rules :
- Do not allow any build up of salt or detergent on your granite.
- Never use abrasive cleaning products such as metal pads, scouring detergents and wire wool on granite as these can effect the finish over time. Also avoid alkaline and chlorine based cleaners and do not use bleach. Granite is easily maintained without the need for such abrasive cleaners.
- Do not expose granite to excessive heat, it is best to have a tripod or similar to place your pans on when taken directly from the hob.
- Over a period of time, it is natural for the sheen of your granite worktops to change depending on what usage it encounters. This can be easily restored by use of a granite polishing cream.
Storage and Handling
- Our granite products are transported to your home upright with the polished sides facing each other, which avoids any damage, scratching or breakage. Once the granite has been placed as a worksurface it is in a safe position to avoid breakages, but in transit we take every precaution to ensure that no damage to the granite occurs.
- Once at your home, if the granite is not to be installed immediately, store it upright as described above and out of the way to avoid being knocked over. Granite is very hard but due to the alignment of the grain can break if it meets with a great impact. If the granite is to be stored for any prolonged length of time, small blocks of wood should be placed between slabs. Polyethylene or another suitable plastic film should be placed between the wood and the finished surfaces of the granite, and should also be used as an overall protective covering.
- If these steps are taken it ensures that your granite will remain in the excellent state in which it arrived until your kitchen is ready for its installation.